Microwave Modification of Hardwoods
The objectives of this research are as follows:
- To design and construct microwave applicators suitable for timber modification
- Establish optimum parameters for MW timber modification
- Develop suitable convection drying schedules for MW pre-treated timber whilst minimising drying defects.
- Establish parameters for the design of commercial MW plant for timber pre-treatment
- Determine the costs of microwave modification to aid commercial adoption of the technology.
Four types of microwave applicators were designed and tested for modifying wood in preparation for accelerated drying. In most instances the costs of microwave timber treatment are acceptable to industry and provide an attractive option for the fast drying of refractory hardwoods.